Advising Center


General Questions

The General Education program at UNCG helps students to gain a foundation of knowledge to combine with their specialized, major curriculum. It prepares students to become lifelong learners, and ethical, independent decision makers. There are 8 different categories of coursework, some of which may be taken in your major.

UNCG uses two systems to help students track their progress through the major, depending on the Undergraduate Bulletin year you are following. Most newer students will track their progress with Degree Works. Students are encouraged to consult their departmental or concentration graduation plan of study regularly.

Students can explore their options by doing a ‘what-if analysis’ in Degree Works (PDF).

Students can watch a video or follow instructions for looking up the name of an advisor on the Students First website.

NO! Many majors in the School of HHS have secondary admission requirements, including completion of certain course work or a minimum GPA. Check with your department, or Director of Undergraduate Study for details.

Students can access step-by-step instructions for registering for classes at the Students First web page. Remember, students should consult with an advisor at least once or twice a year. These faculty and staff are specially trained to help keep students ‘on track’ for graduation. Preparing beforehand to make the most of these meetings is important. Students are encouraged to consult their departmental or concentration plan of study in preparation for registering for courses.

Students should consult the Office of Admissions website to determine if Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate scores meet requirements for college credits.

Typically, only courses with grades of C or higher transfer to UNCG. There is no limit on how many credits a student can transfer from an approved 4 year institution; but, only 64 credits can be transferred from an approved 2 year institution. Only the credit transfers from another institution. Grades (or GPA) do not transfer! Students can transfer courses from the NC Community College System or from other approved 2 or 4 year institution.

Students may wish to compute their GPA for a number of reasons, including how to raise their overall GPA, or how it will change after grade replacement. They may calculate a GPA based on different scenarios at the Students First Office website.

Students must file an appeal for a grade change within 6 months after the grade is posted. They must first discuss their concerns with their instructor. If any issues remain unresolved, they may appeal to the Department Chair/Head, and then to the Dean of the School. When determining whether to appeal a grade (PDF), students should make certain that their concern is considered to be in a category that warrants an appeal. In the School of HHS, students should complete the grade appeal form (PDF).

Students with other concerns/complaints (other than grades) should consult the HHS complaint process for students.

Advising – Step by Step

These questions are about advising and registration. Students can get answers to many other questions at the Students First website, including Live Chat with an advisor.

Prepare for advising each semester. Please remember the following requirements:

  • To be considered a full-time student, you must be enrolled in at least 12 semester hours .
    Most students enroll in 15-17 semester hours each semester to stay on track to graduate in 4 years.
  • You are not permitted to take more than 18 semester hours each fall or spring semester without approval from their academic advisor.
    For approval, you must fill out the Course Overload Request Form (PDF).
  • You need your UNCG Advising Code to register for or to drop a class,. This code is unique to you (no other student has the same code) and changes each semester. You receive the code comes from your academic advisor and use it throughout that entire semester.
  • Classes that require “Written Permission Only” can only be added to your course schedule by having an instructor sign a UNCG Drop/Add Permission Form. Once you have completed the form and received your instructor’s authorization, return the form to the University Registrar’s Office, 180 Mossman Building.
  • Adding or changing a major or minor is usually as simple as filling out the Change of Major/Minor Form in the University Registrar’s Office. Periodically, additional steps may be necessary. If so, please contact the designated academic department advising office directly to find the next steps.
  • Remember that it is YOUR responsibility to make sure you are in academic good standing at all times. For assistance in calculating your semester or cumulative GPA, use the GPA Calculator.
  • Be aware of the University’s academic deadlines, particularly those pertaining to the last day to withdraw from a course without academic penalty. Before dropping a class, visit the University Calendar or talk with your academic advisor to make sure you are aware of potential consequences of dropping a class. Once you are ready to withdraw from a course, you can do that by logging in to UNCGenie.

If you aren’t sure who your advisor is or how to contact them, log into your UNCGenie account and click on ‘Student Services and Financial Aid’, then on ‘Registration’, and then ‘Look Up Your Advisor’. If you do not have an assigned advisor, please reach out to your department of interest so they can assign you one.

General Advising :

  • Staff in the HHS Advising and Personal Development Center provide general advising assistance to any current or prospective undergraduate student exploring majors in HHS.
  • We also advise many Pre-Health Studies majors.

The UNCGenie information system is the means by which students register and complete many other transactions at UNCG. UNCGenie is Web-based. See Registration Instructions for complete user instructions.

Degree Works is the degree evaluation system used for students who declared their majors beginning Fall 2014 or later. These instruction guides are helpful tools for navigating degree evaluations and creating what-if analyses (PDF).

Are you wondering what your class options are? When or where a class meets? Who is the instructor?

You can read prompts to help you select courses here (PDF).

To get started:

  1. Click the UNCGenie link from the UNCG home page. Do not log in.
  2. Select Class Schedule

To search for classes:

  1. Select the appropriate term
  2. Select a Subject and/or a Course Category (GEC Category)
  3. Click on Course Search.

Helpful hints for understanding your search results:

  • The Notes column lists important information for you about the specific section such as major restrictions, freshmen only, etc. Some of these notes tell you why are not eligible to enroll in the specific section.
  • The Meeting Dates column indicates the first and last day of the class. In spring semester, this will help you identify Winter Term classes and in summer sessions it will help you identify whether a class meets during session 1 or session 2. It will also help you identify classes that only meet for the first or second half of the semester. Classes listed in the Location column as TBA typically are online classes.
  • The Categories column indicates the GEC requirement that a class fulfills.
  • The Seats column indicates open seats in a course. “0” seats indicates that a class is full.

Please download and read, How to Register for Courses (PDF).

Initial registration for any term is by registration access window only. Your access window is a period of several days when you may register for classes. For the best selection of classes, register as soon as your registration window (PDF) opens.

Sometimes a course you need is closed or a class you want to take has a prerequisite. What should you do? Sometimes, your professor will allow additional students to enroll in a class, even after it is full. Request a meeting with the professor to find out if you can enroll in the closed course; you may be able to take the prerequisite so you are prepared to enroll in the more advanced class next semester.

Adding a closed course might require you to drop/add classes. Pay careful attention to when you drop or add courses.

Whether you are required to complete a Graduation Plan for a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) appeal or are just thinking ahead to future semesters, the Graduation Plan is an invaluable tool for understanding academic progress and planning for degree completion. Your advisor can assist you with your Graduation Plan.

Complete Course Overload Form (docx) and submit to the HHS Advising Center at 228 Stone Blg. An advisor will respond by email within two business days. If however, your cumulative GPA is below 2.0, a Course Overload Request MUST be submitted to and approved by the Students First Office.

At UNCG, all students must complete courses in the University’s General Education Core program (PDF), more commonly referred to as GEC. GEC requirements aim to develop students’ critical thinking, ethical decision-making, and effective communication skills. Understanding UNCG’s General Education Core and finding appropriate classes will help you fulfill these requirements based on your personal and academic interests.

Students should consult the University Registrar’s Office to determine if their Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate Program scores meet requirements for college credits.

Typically, only courses with grades of C or higher transfer to UNCG. There is no limit on how many credits a student can transfer from an approved 4 year institution; but, only 64 credits can be transferred from an approved 2 year institution. Only the credit transfers from another institution. Grades (or GPA) do not transfer! Please refer to this link for courses that transfer to UNCG from other institutions.

As a student at UNCG, it is critically important that you understand the University’s Academic Standing policy and that you are aware of your own academic standing at all times. See Academic Standing Overview. Students must be in Academic Good Standing to graduate from UNCG.

One of your responsibilities as a UNCG student is to have a general awareness and understanding of Academic Policies and Procedures at the University. Not only can these serve as resources for you throughout your undergraduate career, but they can also be useful in guiding your decision-making when selecting classes or developing your long-term academic plan.

There are many policies outlined in the UNCG Academic Bulletin, but some of the most necessary policies are outlined here. When you are ready, contact the HHS Advising and Personal Development Center ( In this meeting, you can discuss the UNCG policies and your individual circumstances in more detail so that you can make an informed decision about your academic success.