Introduction to Program
BSW students are required to complete a two-semester internship in an assigned social work agency. Since 1972, UNCG and NCA&TSU have collaborated through the Joint BSW Field Instruction Program which is jointly administered by the Directors of Field Instruction on both campuses. Students from both UNCG and NCA&TSU attend field seminars taught by field faculty from both campuses and may be placed in internship settings together.
The number of students placed for field instruction is determined by the availability of these resources. At times there may not be an approved site for student placement and there may be a delay in meeting that part of the graduation requirements. Students enrolled in field instruction courses are individually responsible for their own transportation to and from community agencies. All students must have liability insurance. Insurance information is available in the departmental office. Students are responsible for reading and abiding by the policies and procedures outlined in the BSW Field Instruction Manual (pdf).
When students apply to the BSW Program, that application is jointly considered for Field Instruction (there is not a separate Field application). Applications are electronic and are due by December 7th each year. More information about the application can be found here.
Requirements for Admission to Field Instruction:
- Co-admission to the Social Work Major
- Completion of the following courses or their equivalent:
- BIO 105
- HDF 212
- PSC 200
- PSY 121
- STA 108
- SOC 101
- Department Cultural Diversity Requirement or 2 semesters of a foreign language.
- Completion of 84 hours with a 2.5 grade point average.
- Satisfactory completion of all early field experience requirements (SWK215 and 310)
- Satisfactory completion of SWK 215, 310, 311, 315, 325, 351 with a minimum grade of C. No social work course may be taken more than twice.
- An application process and approval of the Director of Field Instruction.
- BSW Field Instruction Manual (updated 8/16/18) (PDF)
- Field Calendar for BSW SENIORS – Spring 2019 (PDF)
- Field Calendar for BSW JUNIORS – Spring 2019 (PDF)
- Joint BSW Field Time Sheet (Word Doc)
- New Agency Request for BSW Field Placement
- Standard Instructional Agreement
- 9 CSWE Competencies with Suggested Learning Activities
- Learning Contract