Professor and Co-Director of the Center for Translational Biomedical Research
- Ph.D., University of Ehime, Japan, 1990
- M.S., Beijing Agricultural University, China, 1984
- B.S., Hebei Agricultural University, China, 1981
- Trace elements and alcoholic and nonalcoholic liver disease.
- Organ-organ interactions in the pathogenesis of alcoholic and nonalcoholic liver disease.
- Bioactive phytochemicals in prevention/treatment of alcoholic and nonalcoholic liver disease.
- Zhong W, McClain CJ, Cave M, Kang YJ, Zhou Z. The role of zinc deficiency in alcohol-induced intestinal barrier dysfunction. Am J Physiol. 2010; G625-633.
- Zhong W, Zhao Y, McClain CJ, Kang YJ, Zhou Z. Inactivation of hepatocyte nuclear factor-4a mediates alcohol-induced down-regulation of intestinal tight junction proteins. Am J Physiol. 2010; 299:G643-G651
- Kang X, Zhong W, Liu J, Song Z, McClain CJ, Kang YJ, Zhou Z. Zinc supplementation reverses alcohol-induced steatosis in mice through reactivating hepatocyte nuclear factor-4a and peroxisome proliferators activated receptor-a. Hepatology 2009; 50:1241-1250.
- Kang X, Song Z, McClain CJ, Kang YJ, Zhou Z. Zinc supplementation enhances hepatic regeneration by preserving hepatocyte nuclear factor-4a in mice subjected to a long-term ethanol administration. Am J Pathol.2008; 172:916-925.
- Song Z, Zhou Z, Deaciuc I, Chen T, McClain CJ. Inhibition of adiponectin production by homocysteine: A potential mechanism for alcoholic liver disease. Hepatology 2008; 47:867-879.