Cheryl A. Lovelady, Ph.D., M.P.H., R.D.
Lake Simpson Dickson Distinguished Professor Emeritus
- Ph.D., University of California at Davis, 1991
- M.P.H., R.D., University of California at Berkeley, 1978
- L.D.N. (North Carolina), 1993
- Nutrition and women’s health with emphasis on nutrient needs during lactation.
- Nutrition and exercise.
- Assessment of energy intake and expenditure.
- Prevention of childhood obesity.
- Promoting postpartum weight loss in overweight women.
- Effects of exercise during lactation on maternal health.
- Family-based interventions to prevent childhood obesity.
- Wideman, L., Calkins, S.D., Janssen, J.A., Lovelady, C.A., Dollar, J.M., SP Keane, S.P., Perrin, E.M., and L. Shanahan. Rationale, design and methods for the RIGHT Track Health project: Pathways from childhood self-regulation to cardiovascular risk in adolescence. BMC Public Health 2016;16:459-473
- Hathcock, A., Krause, K., Viera, A.J., Fuemmeler, B., Lovelady, C. and T. Ostbye. Satiety responsiveness and the relationship between breastfeeding and weight status of toddlers of overweight and obese women. Maternal Child Health J 2014;18:1023-1030.
- Mathews, M. E., Leerkes, E., M., Lovelady, C. A. and J. Labban. Psychosocial predictors of primiparous breastfeeding initiation and duration. J Hum Lac 2014;30(4):480-487.
- Katzmarzyk, P., Barlow, S., Bouchard, C., Catalano, P., Hsia, D., Inge, T., Lovelady, C., Raynor, H., Redman, L., Staiano, A., Spruijt-Metz, D., Symonds, M., Vickers, M., Wilfley, D., and J. Yanovski. An Evolving Scientific Basis for the Prevention and Treatment of Pediatric Obesity. Int J Obesity 2014;38:887-905.
- Østbye, T., Malhotra, , Stroo, M., Lovelady, C., Brouwer, R., Zucker, N. and B. Fuemmeler. The effect of the home environment on physical activity and dietary intake in preschool children. Int J Obesity 2013;37(10):1314-1321.
- Laster, L.E.R., Lovelady, C.A., West, D.G., Wiltheiss, G.A., Brouwer, R.J.N., and T. Ostbye. Diet quality of overweight and obese mothers and their preschool children. J Acad Nutr Diet 2013;113:1476-1483.
- Turer, C.B., Stroo, M., Brouwer, R.J.N., Krause, K.M., Lovelady, C.A., Bastian, L.A., Peterson, B.L.and T. Ostbye. Do high risk preschoolers or overweight mothers meet AAP recommended behavioral goals for reducing obesity? Academic Pediatrics 2013; 13(3), 243-250. .
- Fuemmeler, B.F., Lovelady, C.A, Zucker, N.L., and T. Ostbye. Parental obesity moderates the relationship between childhood appetitive traits and weight. Obesity 2013;21(4):815-823.
- Wiltheiss, G.A., Lovelady, C.A., West, D.G., Brouwer, R.J.N., Krause, K.M. and T. Ostbye. Diet quality and weight change among overweight and obese postpartum women enrolled in a behavioral intervention program. J Acad Nutr Diet 2013;113(1):54-62.
- Ostbye, T., Krause, K.M., Stroo, M., Lovelady, C.A, Evenson, K.R., Peterson, B. L., Bastian, L.A., Swamy, G.K., West, D.G., Brouwer, R.J.N., and N.L. Zucker. Parent-focused change to prevent obesity in preschoolers: Results from the KAN-DO study. Prev Med 2012;55(3):188-95.
- Ostbye, T., Peterson, B. L., Krause, K.M., Swamy, G.K., and Lovelady, C.A. Predictors of postpartum weight change among overweight and obese women: results of the Active Mothers Postpartum (AMP) study. J Women’s Health 2012;21:215-222. PMID: 22092110.
- Colleran, H.L. and C.A. Lovelady. Use of MyPyramid Menu Planner for Moms in a weight loss intervention during lactation. J Acad Nutr Diet 2012;112:553-558.
- Colleran, H.L., Wideman, L., and C.A. Lovelady. Effects of energy restriction and exercise on bone mineral density during lactation. Med Sci Sport Exer 2012;44:1570-1579.
- Thomas, D.T., Wideman, L. and C.A. Lovelady. Effects of calcium and resistance exercise on body composition in overweight premenopausal women. J Am Coll Nutr 2011;29:604-611.
- Durham, H.A., Morey, M.C., Lovelady, C.A., Brouwer, R.J.N., Krause, K.M., and T. Ostbye. Postpartum physical activity among overweight or obese women. J Phy Act Health 2011;8:988-993.
- Thomas, D.T., Wideman, L. and C.A. Lovelady. Effect of a dairy supplement and resistance training on lean mass and insulin-like growth factor in women. Int J Sport Ntr Exer Metab 2011;21:181-188.
- Lovelady, C.A. Balancing exercise and food intake with lactation to promote postpartum weight loss. Proc Nutr Soc 2011;70:181-184.
- Durham, H.A., Lovelady, C.A., Krause, K.M., Brouwer, R.J.N., and T. Ostbye. Comparison of dietary intake of overweight postpartum mothers practicing breastfeeding or formula feeding. J Amer Diet Assn 2011;111:67-74.
- Bastian, L.A., Pathiraja, V.C., Krause, K.M., Brouwer, R.J.N., Swamy, G.K., Lovelady, C.A., and T. Ostbye. Multiparity is associated with high motivation to change diet among overweight and obese postpartum women. Women’s Health Issues 2010;20:133-138.
- Ostbye, T., Krause, K.M., Swamy, G.K., and C.A. Lovelady. Effect of breastfeeding on weight retention from one pregnancy to the next: results from the North Carolina WIC program. Prev Med 2010;51:368-72.
- Ostbye, T., Krause, K.M., Lovelady, C.A., Morey, M.C., Bastian, L.A., Peterson, B. L., Swamy, G.K., Brouwer, R.J.N., and C. M. McBride. The Active Mothers Postpartum Trial: A Randomized Controlled Weight Loss Intervention Trial. Am J Prev Med 2009;37:173-180.
- Lovelady, C.A., Bopp, M.J., Colleran, H.L., Mackie, H.K., and L. Wideman. Effect of exercise training on loss of bone mineral density during lactation. Med Sci Sports Exer 2009;41:1902-07.
- Sisk, P.M., Lovelady, C.A., Gruber, K.J., Dillard, R.G., and T.M. O’Shea. Human milk consumption and full enteral feeding among infants < 1250 grams. Pediatrics 2008;121:e1528-e1533.
- Lovelady, C.A., Garner, K.E., Moreno, K.L., and J.P. Williams. The effects of dieting on food and nutrient intake of lactating women. J Am Diet Assoc 2006;106:908-912.
- Pivarnik, J.M., Chambliss, H.O., Clapp, J.F., Dugan, S.A., Hatch, M.C., Lovelady, C.A., Mottola, M.R., and M.A. Williams. Impact of physical activity during pregnancy and postpartum on chronic disease risk. Med Sci Sport Exer 2006;38:989-1006.
- Lovelady, C.A. Brief Critical Review: Is maternal obesity a cause of poor lactation performance? Nutr Rev 2005;63:352-355.
- Lovelady, C.A., Hunter, C.P. and C.M. Geigerman. The effect of exercise on immunological factors in human milk. Pediatrics 2003;111:e148-e152.
- Lovelady, C.A., Garner, K.E., Moreno, K.L., and J.P. Williams. The effect of weight loss in overweight, lactating women on the growth of their infants. N Engl J Med 2000; 342:449-53.