Choosing to major in social work is an important professional and career decision which requires learning about social work as a profession, self-awareness and value clarification, and informed decision-making. As students think about choosing a major, they should be exposed to the profession of social work, career opportunities, and challenges.
Our department requires that students engage in self-awareness and examine their motivations for becoming a social worker. In order to facilitate this process, students who wish to major in social work must complete the “Application to the Social Work Major” process (see below). Note that this process is also your application for Field Education, it is a single application for both aspects.
The process begins when interested students take SWK 215, Introduction to Social Work (PDF), where they learn about the profession of social work and social work practice. Students are exposed to concepts and definitions of social work, the relationship between social problems and social work, fields of practice, and job opportunities.
Students also complete a 25 hour volunteer experience in a human service agency. In addition, students must complete an essay as part of the course requirements. This essay assists students to synthesize their knowledge about social work while also examining their personal interest and motivation for a career in social work.
See the Suggested Plan of Study (PDF).
Have any general questions about majoring in Social Work?
Email Daniel Rhodes, PhD, Director of the BSW Program: email@example.com
To be considered for admission to the Social Work Program, a student must be a student at the University and have:
- Completed SWK 215 with a minimum grade of C *.
- A minimum University GPA of 2.5 and completion of 51 semester hours.
- Must be currently enrolled in BOTH, SWK 310 and SWK 311 OR have completed SWK 215, 310 and 311 with a C or higher (if either SWK 310 or SWK 311 is full, contact the BSW Director)
- Submitted a complete application package (see below).
*Transfer students who have completed the equivalent of SWK 215 at another CSWE-accredited BSW program will still need to complete the essay in order to apply for admission. Contact the BSW Director for essay guidelines.
Application to the Social Work Major
Students must submit a completed application package in order to be considered for admission to the major:
- For an overview of how to apply to the Social Work Major, consult this PowerPoint (ppt).
- Please note that this application serves to apply for both the BSW Major and for Field Education
- Completed Application (online form), after having read the BSW Student Handbook (pdf), which will include uploading the following documents:
- Essay from SWK 215 or completed essay if transferring from another University, contact the BSW Director for essay guidelines,
- A resume detailing leadership, work, and volunteer experience,
- Two professional letters of reference, using the Required BSW Recommendation Form (electronic),
- Please ask your references BEFORE you list them.
The deadline for applications is December 14th. Students should submit their completed application online. Admission to the social work major is competitive and limited. Applicants will be notified in writing concerning the admission decision.
During your final (senior) year of the social work program you are required to be a full-time student. The UNCG social work program is not a part-time, evening or online degree program. During your final year you will be expected to be in a Field Placement 16 hours a week (generally on Tuesday & Thursday), Seminar course every other Wednesday morning, and a Methods course each semester, along with a 500-level social work elective. This is in addition to whatever other courses you may have to complete to graduate.