Established in 1967, UNCG Speech and Hearing Center is a nonprofit clinic offering speech, language, and hearing services to citizens of the Piedmont Triad and beyond for nearly 50 years. Our doctoral-level audiologists are state licensed and nationally certified. We embrace a holistic approach to hearing health care.
Comprehensive Hearing Evaluations
Our audiological services include comprehensive hearing evaluations using a patient-centered approach that takes into account your unique hearing profile, cognitive, physical, and emotional factors, and listening needs.
In addition to a detailed case history, our diagnostic evaluation includes:
- Otoscopic inspection of the ear canal and ear drum to identify excessive wax or presence of another pathology that requires medical intervention.
- Acoustic immittance to evaluate health of the middle ear (as appropriate).
- Pure-tone audiometry to evaluate hearing sensitivity in each ear and describe the severity, type, configuration and symmetry of hearing loss.
- Otocoacoustic emissions to measure outer hair cell function (as needed)
- Speech audiometryto assess your ability to understand speech at comfortable, conversational, and soft listening levels.
- Speech-in-noise testing to determine speech understanding in challenging listening situations.
- Professional counseling on results and implications for communication with personalized recommendations by a licensed audiologist.
A comprehensive report of test results will be sent to the referring physician for patients with Medicare Part B.
Income-based financial assistance also is available.