Students interested in the Health Studies Online (HSO) concentration need to first apply and be accepted into UNCG. For more information about applying to the University, please visit University Admissions. If you are transferring to UNCG from another institution, you can find more information available here, Transfers – UNC Greensboro.
When applying, interested students may declare their major as Public Health Education with a concentration in Health Studies Online. This can also be done through the Registrar’s Office.
After students have been accepted into UNCG and have declared their major, the next step is to set up a meeting with HHS Advising and Personal Development Center to:
- Complete a ‘Public Health Education Pre-Advising Survey’
- Develop a graduation plan
The staff at HHS Advising Center will review the student’s Degreeworks to ensure that they have met all the prerequisites needed to successfully begin the core required courses in upperclassman level of the HSO concentration.
The department seeks high achieving and motivated students that have met the following criteria:
- Possession of a prior degree (AA, AS, BA, or BS)
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
- Completion of Public Health Related Courses:
- 1 Biology Course – Principles of Biology (BIO 111), Anatomy, and/or Physiology
- 1 English Course – Composition l
- 1 Intro to Computing Course – Business Computing (ISM 110)
- 1 Communications Course – Public Speaking or Workplace Communications
- 1 Math Course – Must be College Algebra or higher
- 1 Socio-behavioral Course – Intro to Sociology or Intro to Psychology
- All transfer course must be completed with a grade of C or higher
Students completing an AA or AS degree, with grades of C or higher, from a North Carolina community college could qualify for the Comprehensive Articulation Agreement (CAA) at UNCG. CAA satisfies all General Education Core requirements. However, the Public Health-Related Courses above must still be completed prior to admission.
Potential students can search for transfer equivalencies at UNCG:
While there is no formal application for the Health Studies Online program, the process stated above must be followed before a student is recognized as a student in the Department of Public Health Education. Failure to do so can limit students from registering for core courses needed to complete the degree.
If you have questions about the Health Studies Online Admissions process, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.