School of Health and Human Sciences

Advising Guidelines

Students interested in the Community Health Education (CHE) concentration need to first apply and be accepted into UNCG. For more information about applying to the University, please visit University Admissions. If you are transferring to UNCG from another institution, you can find more information available here, Transfers – UNC Greensboro.

When applying, interested students may declare their major as Public Health Education with a concentration in Community Health Education. This can also be done through the Registrar’s Office if the student is already attending UNCG.

After students have been accepted into UNCG and have declared their major, the next step is to set up a meeting with HHS Advising and Personal Development Center .

The staff at HHS Advising Center will review the student’s Degreeworks to ensure that they have met all the prerequisites needed to successfully begin the core required courses in upperclassman level of the CHE concentration. 

Then, students who have a minimum of 47 credit hours completed, will be assigned a new faculty-advisor within the Department of Public Health Education.


The department seeks high achieving and motivated students that have met the following criteria:

  • Cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher
  • Received a C or higher in any Health Education Course (designated with the prefix HEA)
  • Completed the following 100-200-level Public Health Related courses with a C or higher:
    • 1 English Course (ENG 101)
    • 1 Communications Course (CST 105)
    • 1 Math Course (MAT 115 or STA 108)
    • 1 Sociobehavioral Course (PSY 121 or SOC 101)
    • 1 Nutrition Course (NTR 213)
    • 1 Human Anatomy or Physiology Course (BIO 271, BIO 277, KIN 291, or KIN 292)


Potential students can search for transfer equivalencies at UNCG:

While there is no formal application for the Community Health Education program, failure to follow these advising guidelines can delay graduation because all courses are not offered every semester.

If you have questions about the Community Health Education Admissions process, please send an email to