Regina McCoy, MPH
Associate Professor, Co-Director of the UNCG Health Coach Training Center
MPH in Community Health Education, University of North Carolina Greensboro
Office: Mossman Administration Building
Phone: (336) 334-3245
Regina McCoy is an experienced and accomplished higher education professional with a diverse background in public health education and student success. With over 25 years of service to UNC Greensboro, she has demonstrated a deep commitment to creating a student-centered environment that supports academic achievement and enhances access to education.
As the Associate Vice Provost for Retention & Student Success, Regina is responsible for leading campus-wide initiatives that promote student success outcomes by reducing persistence barriers and fostering a sense of belonging for all students. Her collaborative approach to leadership involves partnering with academic departments, advising units, and student support services to create a student-ready campus that promotes economic development, social and cultural awareness, and academic growth.
Before her current appointment, Regina served as a faculty member in the Department of Public Health Education, where she focused on community-engaged research to address health equity issues in under-resourced and minoritized communities. She also co-founded the UNCG Health & Wellness Coaching Program and currently serves as the Director of the Post-baccalaureate Certificate in Health & Wellness Coaching. Through this program, Regina helps people improve their quality of life by using proven behavior change techniques to elicit motivation and engage in more preventative health behaviors.
- MPH in Community Health Education, Department of Public Health Education, University of North Carolina Greensboro
- B.S. in Community Health Education, Department of Behavioral and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Maryland at College Park
- National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach (NCB-HWC)
- Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES)
Memberships & Organizations
- Board of the North Carolina Chapter of the Society for Public Health Education (NC SOPHE)
- National SOPHE Board, past trustee
- Professional-Member-at-Large on the Eta Sigma Gamma National Board, board member, lifetime member, and former faculty sponsor
- Health coaching
- Sexual health
- Health equity
- Community engaged research
- Fullen, M. C., Smith, J. L., Clarke, P. B., Westcott, J. B., McCoy, R., & Tomlin, C. C. (2022).
Holistic Wellness Coaching for Older Adults: Preliminary Evidence for a Novel Wellness
Intervention in Senior Living Communities. Journal of Applied Gerontology, 07334648221135582.
- Strack, R. W., Aronson, R. E., Orsini, M. M., Seitz, C. M., & McCoy, R. (2018). Using photovoice
to uncover campus issues and advocate change for Black males. Journal of College Student
Development, 59(4), 491-498.
- Graham, L. F., Aronson, R. E., Mccoy, R., & Rhodes, S. D. (2016). Sexual relationships, sex
communication, and condom use among heterosexual African-American male college students in
the southeastern US. Journal of Black Sexuality and Relationships, 2(3), 49-73.
- Nichols, T., & McCoy, R. (2015). Black Mothers’ Messages of Pride to Their Adolescent
Daughters. Black Motherhood (s): Contours, Contexts and Considerations, 185-203.
- Galer-Unti, R. A., Alley, K. B., & McCoy, R. L., (2010). In Grim, M. L., & Fertman, C. I. (Eds.).
(2010). Health promotion programs: from theory to practice. John Wiley & Sons.