McCoy’s professional health education career has been dedicated to partnering with the community to address maternal and child health issues, especially within under-resourced communities. Her work has primarily focused on coordinating heath education services within federal, state and county public health agencies as well as community-based programs within hospital, churches and schools in Maryland, Washington D.C., and North Carolina. In the past she has focused her research within projects at UNCG, Brothers Leading Healthy Lives, a community-based collaborative in Greensboro, NC that focuses on improving the health and opportunities for success among African American/Black college-aged men.
She was Project Coordinator for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention project titled PATH4Men: Preventing African American Transmission of Heterosexual HIV Project (for Men). The aims for PATH4Men was to develop a culturally relevant intervention to prevent the spread of HIV among heterosexually active African American male college students.
Ms. McCoy invites students to fully participate in a community of learning to engage them in professional and public service to meet the needs of a global community. She supervises the undergraduate field placement of community health education majors throughout the US and abroad to work hand in hand with a variety of populations and cultures (Native American children to Bahamian senior women) in a variety of settings (community clinics to international health programs). In addition, she is active in teaching general education courses opened to all UNCG students such as Human Sexuality and other professional preparation program courses for health education majors.
- MPH in Community Health Education, Department of Public Health Education, University of North Carolina Greensboro
- B.S. in Community Health Education, Department of Behavioral and Community Health, School of Public Health, University of Maryland at College Park
- National Board Certified Health & Wellness Coach (NCB-HWC)
- Master Certified Health Education Specialist (MCHES)
Memberships & Organizations
- Board of the North Carolina Chapter of the Society for Public Health Education (NC SOPHE)
- National SOPHE Board, past trustee
- Professional-Member-at-Large on the Eta Sigma Gamma National Board, board member, lifetime member, and former faculty sponsor
- Health coaching
- Sexual health
- Health equity
- Community engaged research