Human Nutrition and Dietetics Concentration
Human Nutrition and Dietetics focuses on the application of the principles of
- behavioral and social sciences and the
- promotion of optimal health in individuals.
Students should choose the Human Nutrition and Dietetics concentration if their professional goal includes becoming a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
Students in this concentration are automatically enrolled in the DPD program at UNCG and will complete didactic coursework necessary to apply for a supervised practice program in dietetics. Successful completion of this concentration readies the student for a career as a nutritionist and for entry into the internship required to become a Registered Dietitian (RD).
Request More Information
This concentration is an Accredited Didactic Program of Dietetics (DPD) recognized by the Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. For more information see UNCG DPD Program.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor projects that employment of dietitians and nutritionists will grow at a faster rate than employment opportunities in other professions beyond the year 2000. As health professionals, nutritionists and dietitians promote nutrition in a variety of settings and roles.
- Chief dietitians plan and oversee meals and nutritional programs, and direct staff employed in organizations such as hospitals, universities, corporations, retirement homes, and military bases
- Clinical dietitians work as part of the health care team in hospitals and other healthcare institutions to meet the special dietary needs of clients such as those with diabetes or cancer; premature infants, and the elderly.
- Public health nutritionists are employed in community agencies whose missions are to promote health, prevent disease, and provide primary health care.
- Consultant dietitians in private practice advise corporations, conduct wellness programs and seminars, counsel groups such as athletes, and promote nutrition through articles and books.
- Product representatives for pharmaceutical companies advise and educate health professionals.
- Cooperative Extension agents translate research findings in food and nutrition into consumer education.
Nutrition and Wellness Concentration
Nutrition and Wellness focuses on instruction and experience in the basic nutritional sciences, community nutrition, public health education, and kinesiology.
Potential career opportunities for these students include positions in
- the food industry,
- health care,
- health food stores,
- voluntary and community health organizations,
- public relations,
- and the fitness industry.
This concentration also prepares the student for graduate training in nutrition, public health education and exercise and sport science.
Nutrition Science Concentration
Nutrition Science focuses on the scientific basis for the metabolism of nutrients and the role of nutrients in health and disease.
Students will be prepared to enter fields in which a strong, integrated bioscience knowledge base is needed, such as research, medicine and pharmacology. Most Nutrition Science students eventually pursue graduate degrees.
There are job opportunities in
- academic and biomedical institutions,
- food, agricultural, pharmaceutical, and biotechnology industries,
- government agencies,
- and private health-related organizations,
- and positions ranging from research and development to sales and consulting are available.