Dr. Dharod’s research is focused on identifying underlying mechanisms, associated risks, and effective strategies to address food insecurity at both national and international levels. Given the critical role nutrition plays in fetal and child development, Dr. Dharod is especially interested in understanding the impact of food insecurity in the first 1000 days of life. Internationally, Dr. Dharod’s efforts are focused on the assessment of water insecurity and its effect on three pillars of food security- Availability, Access, Utilization.
- Underlying mechanisms and pathways that explain the relationship been food insecurity and poor health
- Impact of food insecurity during the critical periods of development
- Influence of food insecurity on racial/ethnic disparities
- Importance of water security for optimal food access and utilization
- Effect of food insecurity on infant feeding practices
- Development of a validated household level water security scale
- Assessment of improved water access intervention on nutritional outcomes in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Hill A, Nunnery D, Ammerman A, Dharod J (2019). Racial/Ethnic differences in diet quality and eating habits among WIC pregnant women: Implications for policy and practice. American Journal of Health Promotion. doi: 10.1177/0890117119883584.
- Nounkeu D, Kamgno J, Dharod J (2019). Assessment of the relationship between water insecurity, hygiene practices, and incidence of diarrhea among children from rural households of the Menoua Division – West Cameroon. Journal of Public Health in Africa 10:951, 44-49.
- Nounkeu D, Dharod J (2019). Status on the Scale Development to Measure Water Insecurity Experiences at the Household Level – A Narrative Review. Advances in Nutrition. Sep 1;10(5):864-875.
- Ball L, Andrews J, Gruber K, Dharod J (2018). Implementation of a WIC clinic farmers’ market improves accessibility and consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables among WIC farmers’ market nutrition program participants. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition. https://doi.org/10.1080/19320248.2018.1491364.
- Nounkeu D, Dharod J (2018). Assessment of water insecurity among households in a rural area of the West region of Cameroon: Lessons learned from field research. Journal of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development. https://doi.org/10.2166/washdev.2018.148.
- Burge C, Dharod J (2018). What are the nutrition education needs of refugees: assessment of food choices, shopping and spending practices of South-Asian refugees in the U.S. Journal of International Migration and Integration. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12134-018-0565-1.
- Ball L, McCauley A, Paul T, Gruber K, Haldeman L, Dharod J (2017). Evaluating the Implementation of a Farmers’ Market Targeting WIC FMNP Participants. Health Promotion Practice. doi: 10.1177/1524839917743965.
- Nunnery D, Labban J, Dharod J (2017). Inter-relationship between food security status, home availability of variety of fruits and vegetables and their dietary intake among low-income pregnant women. Public Health Nutrition. Mar;21(4):807-815. doi: 10.1017/S1368980017003032.
- Nunnery D, Dharod J (2017). Potential determinants of food insecurity among refugees in the U.S.: An examination of pre and post resettlement factors. Food Security Journal. 9 (1): 163-179.