Welcome to the Nutrition Graduate Students
This page provides some insight on what it’s like to be a graduate student in the Department of Nutrition at UNCG. The purpose of the Nutrition Graduate Student Association (NGSA) is to provide social support, funding, and networking and career-building opportunities, as well as give back to the community through service and volunteering.
NGSA meets once a month, on Mondays after Seminar. Our meetings give us a chance to take a deep breath, share some thoughts about our research and course work, and have some fun.
We welcome inquiries to Linda Friend firstname.lastname@example.org or Alla Hill email@example.com.
As an organization, NGSA works to advance our students and the field of nutrition.
- To create a forum for constructive peer support that fosters professional development through discussion of research objectives, the current scientific literature, and oral presentations of our own research.
- To promote campus awareness of the department and develop collaborative research efforts between nutrition and other UNCG departments and affiliates.
- To promote nutrition awareness in the community at large by participating in health and nutrition outreach.
- NGSA members are attending the Grad Student Mixer at the Weatherspoon Art Museum Thursday, August 25th from 4:30-6pm. This is a fun event to meet other grad students and hang out with NGSA members. There will be food and drinks provided, you need your UNC G ID to get in and your Driver’s License to drink.
- President is organizing Intramural Sports Teams for Sand Volleyball and Battle Canoes (which is later in the semester).
- Monday, September 24th after seminar
- Dues are $5/semester or $10/year
- Upcoming event! Crop Hunger Walk: Sunday, October 14th
- Crop Hunger Walk
- Melissa will be sending out more information soon
- Upcoming event! Rugged Maniac: Saturday, October 27th
- Rugged Maniac obstacle race series
- Register with our team: UNCG Nutrition Graduate Student Association
- Select our team time: 10:45 am
- Contact Linda for more information
- Previous community service events include:
- Walk to Defeat ALS
- 2017 CROP Hunger Walk
- HHS Health & Wellness Expo
- Upcoming event! Cookout at Piney Lake: Sunday, September 9th
- RSVP to Alla by Tuesday, September 4th
- Previous social events include:
- Fun and games at Boxcar Bar + Arcade
- Dinner from local food trucks
- Dessert at Cheesecakes by Alex
- Brunch at the Traveled Farmer
- Concerts at Blind Tiger
- Group workouts at the Kaplan Center
- President: Linda Friend
- Vice President: Alla Hill
- Treasurer: Michelle Polkowski
- Secretary: Dee Horner
- Service Event Coordinator: Melissa Totten
- Public Relations & Social Media Chairpersons: Megan Rivenburg & Devonte Thomas
- Student Government Association Representative: Alla Hill
- 2013 UNCG Excellence Award – Overall Excellence for Community Service
- 2012 UNCG Excellence Award – Overall Excellence for Community Service