All programs offer fall admission only. Prospective graduate students apply online and submit their application materials to the Graduate School (not the HDFS Department). The Graduate School requires a 3.0 undergraduate GPA for full admission into UNCG graduate programs. A completed application includes:
- Online application and $65 application fee. .
- Three references (preferably at least two from academic faculty professors)
- One copy of official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended. Note: If one transcript shows transfer credit from another institution, you do not need to provide a transcript from the original institution.
- 1-3 page professional statement. The professional statement is a chance for the applicant to explain their reasons for pursuing graduate study in this field, previous experience and training in this or related fields, and their professional goals. Students applying for admission to the MS program, the MS/PhD program, or the PhD program should also indicate their primary areas of research interest and the faculty members they are most interested in studying with. MEd students should indicate which emphasis they are applying for in their personal statement.
- Writing Sample. Students applying to the MS, MS/PhD, or PhD program must submit an academic writing sample (e.g, senior year paper, literature review paper, honor’s thesis, master’s thesis, or a manuscript published/accepted for publication/submitted for publication).
The HDFS Department encourages students to submit the online application form even if they do not yet have the other application materials. This can speed up the application process.
Deadlines to Apply for Fall Admission
MS thesis or MS/PhD Program: December 15th
PhD Program: December 15th
Masters in Education (B-K ISED) February 1st (earlier applications are encouraged)
LECE Certificate or B-K Licensure Certificate: February 1st (earlier applications are encouraged)
UNCG is currently authorized to offer online courses to students in all states except Iowa, Wisconsin, Montana, Wyoming and Minnesota.