The UNCG Gerontology Research, Outreach, Workforce (development), and Teaching Hub (GROWTH)
- GROWTH’s mission is to encourage interdisciplinary and community-engaged research, teaching, and service focused on aging and older adults.
- All UNCG faculty, staff, students, alumni, and community partners are invited to participate in GROWTH-sponsored events (Please email GROWTH (GROWTH@uncg.edu) if you would like to be added to the invitation distribution list).
- The Hub is coordinated by a group of UNCG faculty, known as the UNCG GROWTH Faculty Executive Advisory Committee:
- Rebecca Adams, Gerontology (Coordinator)
- Chantelle Caro, Gerontology
- Laurie Kennedy-Malone, Nursing
- Noah Lenstra, Library & Information Sciences
- Jaclyn Maher, Kinesiology
- Rachel Olsen, The University Libraries
- Some of the UNCG faculty who participate in GROWTH events also serve as UNCG Gerontology Faculty Affiliates, faculty with expertise in aging who have agreed to be available to provide guidance to UNCG undergraduate and graduate students who share their interests. Some faculty affiliates offer undergraduate or graduate courses in aging-related areas. Please contact Rebecca Adams (email@example.com) if you are a UNCG faculty member who would like to serve as a Gerontology Faculty Affiliate.
- Some GROWTH events have been recorded and are available on our UNCG GROWTH YouTube channel.
- Keep in touch by joining our UNCG Gerontology Facebook group.
- Sponsored by the UNCG Gerontology Program and the Office of Research and Engagement.
- Wednesday, April 5, 2023, 5-7 pm, GROWTH Networking Reception, at Old San Juan Bar and Grill
- Thursday, March 16, 2023, 12:30-2 pm, Edwards Lounge Stone Building and via Zoom, Presenter: Dr. Jaclyn Maher, Physical Activity Adoption and Maintenance in Older Adults, posted on YouTube
- Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 12:30-2 pm, Edwards Lounge Stone Building and via Zoom, Presenter: Dr. Laurie Kennedy-Malone, Nursing, Interprofessional Video Clinical Simulations, posted on YouTube
- Thursday, November 3, 2022, 12:30-2, GROWTH Lunch N Learn, via Zoom, Presenter: Dr. Tyreasa Washington, Social Work, An Exploration of Self-Care Practices of African American Informal Kinship Caregivers
- Tuesday, October 4, 2022, 12:30-2 pm, GROWTH Lunch N Learn, Edwards Lounge Stone Building and via Zoom, Presenter: Dr. Noah Lenstra, Library and Information Studies, Considering public libraries as multi-generational community centers: Policy, practice, and research, posted on YouTube
- Tuesday, August 30, 2022, 12-2 pm, GROWTH Networking Lunch at Old San Juan Bar and Grill
- Thursday, April 21, 2022, 12:00-2:00 pm, End-of-Year GROWTH Networking Lunch, Old San Juan Old San Juan Bar and Grill
- Wednesday, February 2, 2022, 12-1:30 pm, Dayna Touron, Multiple Pathways of Cognitive Aging: Motivational and Contextual Influences, via Zoom and posted on YouTube
- Thursday, January 20, 2022, 12:30-2:00 pm, Louisa Raisbeck, Balance Strategies for Older Adults, via Zoom and posted on YouTube
- Wednesday, November 17, 2021, 12-1:30 pm, Meredith Powers & Elise Eifert, Enhancing Eco-Therapeutic Places and Promoting Nature-Based Activities across the Lifespan, via Zoom and posted on YouTube
- Tuesday, October 19, 2021, 5-7:00 pm, GROWTH Networking Event via Zoom and posted on YouTube
- Wednesday, April 14, 2021. 12-1:30 pm, GROWTH Networking Event via Zoom
- Thursday, March 25, 2021, 12:30 – 2:00 pm, GROWTH Virtual Lunch (PDF) and Learn “Outcomes of Conversation Group Participation in People with Aphasia”, presented by Dr. Jessica Obermeyer and Sena Crutchley via Zoom and posted on YouTube
- Wednesday, January 27, 2021, 12:00 – 1:30 pm, GROWTH Virtual Lunch (PDF) and Learn “Characterizing Older Adults’ Positivity during Person Perception”, presented by Dr. Brittany Cassidy.
- Thursday, November 19, 2020,12:30 – 2:30 pm., GROWTH Virtual Lunch (PDF) and Learn “Aging and Frailty”, presented by Dr. Deborah Lekan via Zoom and posted on YouTube
- Wednesday, October 28, 2020, 12:00 – 2:00 pm., GROWTH Virtual Lunch (PDF) and Learn “Gerontology is GROwing: What’s New with the Graduate Programs”, presented by Dr. Elise Eifert and Dr. Chantelle Caro via Zoom.
- Wednesday, September 2, 2020,12:00 – 1:30 p.m., GROWTH Virtual Lunch and Learn “UNCG Library Resources for Gerontology Researchers”, presented by Rachel Olsen, First Year Communications and Social Sciences Librarian, View announcement (DOC), presented via Zoom and posted on YouTube
- Thursday, April 4th, 2020,5-7 pm, at the Mad Hatter, End of Year Event (PDF).
- Thursday, February 13, 2020, The Importance and Impact of Meaningful Leisure for Caregivers. Leandra Bedini (CTR)
- Wednesday, January 15, 2020, GROWTH Faculty Luncheon: Pedro’s
- Thursday, November 7, 2019, Embracing Technology for Teaching Innovations, Laurie Kennedy-Malone (Nursing)
- Wednesday, October 9, 2019, Sudha Shreeniwas (HDFS) and Sara Bailey (Roanoke College, UNCG Gerontology PBC & Ed Counseling PhD)
- Thursday, February 14, 2019, 12:30-2:00 p.m., Feasibility, Validity, and Acceptability of a Physical Activity Ecological Momentary Assessment Study Among Minority Older Adults, Laurie Kennedy-Malone (Nursing) and Jaclyn Mahler (Kinesiology),Lunch & Learn (PDF)
- Wednesday, November 7th, 2018, 12:00-1:30 p.m., On the Uses and Abuses of ‘Dignity’ in Talk About Aging: A Philosophical Conversation, Frances Bottenberg (Philosophy), Lunch & Learn (PDF)
- Wednesday, October 17th, 2018. 12:00 – 1:30 p.m. Public Library Services for an Aging Population: Chair Fitness, Tech Support, StoryCorps, and More, Noah Lenstra (Lbrary & Information Science) Lunch & Learn (PDF)
- Tuesday, September 11, 2018, 5-7:30, GROWTH Start of Year Reception: Mad Hatter.
- Tuesday, February 13, 2018, GROWTH Organizational Meeting,3:00-4:30, Edwards Lounge, Stone Building
- Thursday, January 18th, 2018. 12:30 – 2 p.m. My Health Peace of Mind, Catherine and David Servier, Lunch & Learn (PDF)
- Wednesday • October 26, 2016 • 12:00- 1:30 p.m. GROWTH Lunch & Learn (PDF). Don’t Refer to Me as Old or Aging: Understanding Older Consumers, presented by Dr. Jiyoung Hwang, Assistant Professor of Marketing in the Bryan School of Business & Economics at UNCG.
- Thursday • March 24, 2016 • 12:30 – 2:00 p.m. GROWTH Lunch & Learn (PDF). Learning from Senior Welfare Policies of Seoul, South Korea presented by Jaesam Yoon, M.P.P.A., Director of the Disability Welfare Policy Division of the Seoul [Korea] Metropolitan Government, our UNCG Gerontology Visiting Scholar 2015-2017.
- Wednesday, January 20, 2016, 12:00-1:30 p.m. GROWTH Lunch & Learn (PDF). Embracing Their Reality — Providing Positive Dementia Care presented by Rachel Wonderlin, MS in Gerontology, Dementia Care Director with Blue Harbor Senior Living.
- Thursday, November 5, 2015, 12:30-2:00 p.m. GROWTH Lunch & Learn (PDF) Listening for Life: Hearing Health Care in Aging Populations presented by Lisa Fox-Thomas, PhD, CCC-A
- Wednesday, September 30, 2015, 12:00-1:15 p.m. GROWTH Lunch & Learn (PDF) Music, Aging, and Well-Being: Deadheads and Other Babyboomers presented by Rebecca Adams, PhD Edwards Lounge, Stone Building, UNCG
- Wednesday, March 4, 2015, 12:00 to 1:15 p.m. GROWTH Lunch & Learn (PDF). Continuing Care Retirement Communities: Patterns of Community. Edwards Lounge, Stone Building, UNCG presented by Julia Hahmann (PDF), PhD, Gerontology Program Visiting Scholar
- Wednesday January 21, 2015, 12:00-1:15 p.m. GROWTH Lunch & Learn (PDF). Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Aging presented by Dianne Welsh, PhD, Hayes Distinguished Chair in Entrepreneurship at UNCG and Fulbright Distinguished Chair for Entrepreneurship in Central Europe
Growth Events from 2013-2014
- December 3, 2014 12:00-1:15 p.m. GROWTH Lunch & Learn (PDF). Making Community Events Accessible to Older Adults presented by Betha Barba and Anita Tesh of the UNCG School of Nursing. Edwards Lounge, Stone Building, UNCG
- Nov. 11, 2014. GROWTH Lunch & Learn (PDF). Emerging Trends in Family Caregiving Using the Life Course Perspective presented by Elise Eifert. Edwards Lounge, Stone Building, UNCG
- March 20, 2014 Gerontology Research Network (GRN) Lunch & Learn Compassionate Communication at End of Life (PDF) presented by Christine Davis, PhD, of UNC-Charlotte.
- February 6, 2014 Gerontology Research Network (GRN) Lunch & Learn. Health Risks that Double Disability for Older Americans with Diabetes: Results from a National Longitudinal Study by Sarah Laditke, PhD, UNC-Charlotte.
- November 13, 2013 Gerontology Research Network (GRN) Lunch & Learn. Administration of a retirement care facility and highlighted research opportunities between WellSpring and UNCG presented by Steve Fleming, CEO of WellSpring. See the flyer (PDF).
- January 2013 Gerontology Research Network (GRN) Lunch & Learn. “Loneliness in Mid-and-Later Life” (PPT).
- September 2013 the UNCG Gerontology Program hosted an event celebrating our history and envisioning our future. Enjoy a video gleaned from this day’s event at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
UNCG GERONTOLOGY “AGING IS GOOD BUSINESS” SUMMITS
Prior to 2013 rebranding as the UNCG Gerontology Research, Outreach, Workforce development, and Teaching Hub (GROWTH), the UNCG Gerontology Program hosted major annual Aging is Good Business summits. See descriptions of the Aging is Good Business summits.
ISSUES OF UNCG GERONTOLOGY RESEARCH NETWORK (PRE-2013)
Also before UNCG Gerontology Research, Outreach, Workforce development, and Teaching Hub (GROWTH) rebranding, UNCG faculty interests and research in aging were coordinated through a Gerontology Research Network (GRN). Early UNCG Gerontology Research Network (GRN) Newsletters offer a glimpse into our previous news and engagements from 2008 to 2012.
GROWTH is sponsored by the Office of Research and Engagement and the Gerontology Program