To be an inclusive and vibrant gerontological community, providing high-quality educational programs and empowering students to improve the lives of older adults and the aging experience.
The mission of the UNCG Gerontology Program is to teach students to apply gerontological knowledge to enrich and enhance the lives of older adults through evidence-based practice.
- To provide students with a broad and integrated perspective on aging through collaborative relationships with academic disciplines, community organizations, and businesses.
- To prepare students to be future leaders in a variety of settings serving the older adult community throughout the region, state, and nation.
In carrying out the mission, the program is guided by the following core values:
- We value competency in Gerontology by teaching and fostering the specific knowledge, abilities, and skills necessary to work with or on behalf of older persons.
- Person Centered
- We value a person-centered learning experience that encourages academic success, professional development, and personal growth by empowering and supporting students.
- We value the interdisciplinary nature of Gerontology by building relationships and creating partnerships, both internally and externally to the university.
- Connections and Collaborations
- We value connections and collaborations by providing a learning environment that promotes teamwork and encourages creative, problem-solving among students, faculty, and community partners to benefit older adults and their families.
- Diversity and Inclusion
- We value diversity and inclusion by creating a welcoming and equitable community that recognizes, honors, and embraces the richness that diversity brings to an educational community.
- We value our student’s potential to make a difference in the lives of older adults by emphasizing the use of evidence-based practice to address critical issues facing older adults.
- We value opportunity and access for all who wish to acquire an education in Gerontology by offering online courses and programs.