Event Planning Info
Students in the B.S. in Parks and Recreation, Community Recreation and Event Planning program can choose courses such as leadership, program planning, event planning, special event management, service management, finance and budget, and campus recreation.
Graduates of our program have secured jobs as Wedding Planners, Events Managers, Festival Coordinators, Project Managers, Travel Specialists, Reservation Services Managers, and Event Analysts.
“Event Planning consists of coordinating every detail of event such as professional conventions and meetings and to special events and celebrations. Although event planning is hard work and can be very demanding, it has also been described as, “the energizing art of choreographing people and activities in order to create a show that creates memories of a lifetime. Designing and producing an event, whether it‘s a meeting, corporate event, fund-raiser, tradeshow or any other event, is in many ways comparable to directing a live stage performance. An added bonus, for those who love to travel, it provides an amazing opportunity to travel to luxurious hotels, interesting new places and meet speakers and attendees from around the world. All of this, while enjoying a high level of autonomy and independence!” (Institute of Event Management, 2020).
Why You Want to be an Event Planner
- 7% job growth over next decade – “faster than average for all occupations” (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2019)
- “Event planners use an entire leadership and management toolbox with every event they produce. You oversee and are accountable for strategic vision, execution, human resources, marketing, sales, stakeholder management, finance, budget, negotiation, etc.” (Pathable, 2020).
- Potential to work with cutting edge technology (e.g., event tech, VR, 360 cameras, drones)
Request Info on the B.S. in Recreation and Parks Degree Program
Why Study with Us at UNCG
- Our faculty are nationally recognized for their teaching and research in the field
- Award winning event planner teaches in the program
- CTR has specific courses and training in professional development to give students an edge on the internship and job market
- Many alumni of our program come back as speakers, facilitators, and mentors to our students
Download the Community Recreation and Event Planning Four Year Plan
View the University Catalog – B.S. in Recreation and Parks (Community Recreation and Event Planning)
Visit the UNCG Admissions Page