The Department of Community and Therapeutic Recreation has a long history at The University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Some form of a professional preparation program in recreation as existed since 1947. During the 1974-1975 academic year, authorization was granted to establish an autonomous Recreation Division. The name of the Recreation Division was officially changed to the Recreation and Leisure Studies Division in the 1981-1982 academic year.
At the beginning of the 1984-1985 academic year, it was granted departmental status. In academic year 1989-1990, it was renamed the Department of Leisure Studies. The name of the Department was changed to the Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism, in the beginning of the 1998-1999 academic year. In the 2000-2001 academic year, the Hospitality Management Program was administratively housed within the Department of Recreation, Parks, and Tourism. In academic year 2004-2005, the name of the Department was changed to the Department of Recreation, Tourism, and Hospitality Management.
In the 2011-12 academic year, the Department name changed to Community and Therapeutic Recreation. Within the Department there are currently two separate and distinct degree programs, the M.S. in Parks and Recreation Management, and the B.S. in Recreation and Park Management. The Department’s undergraduate program has been accredited by the NRPA/AALR Council on Accreditation (currently The Council on Accreditation of Parks, Recreation, Tourism and Related Professions – COAPRT) since October 1981.