COMMUNITY AND THERAPEUTIC RECREATION
School of Health and Human Sciences
Preparing professionals to enhance health, wellness, and quality of life among individuals and communities.
News and AnnouncementsNews archive
What is Community and Therapeutic Recreation ?
The study of the recreation and park industries encompasses a broad range of events and activities.
A few of the many specialties within this growing field are: gerontology, youth organizations, parks and forestry, public recreation, specialized facility management, commercial enterprising, therapeutic recreation, community inclusion, sports management, resource management, and recreation and parks administration.
- Recreation Workers – demand expected to grow 16% in next ten years (Occupational Outlook Handbook)
- Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners – demand for is expected to grow 18% in the next ten years (Occupational Outlook Handbook)
- Parks and recreation professionals rank in the top 8% of most meaningful majors out of 454 reviewed (Payscale, 2019)
- Recreation Therapists – demand expected to grow 10% in next ten years (Occupational Outlook Handbook)
- Recreation Therapy ranks in the top 5% of most meaningful majors out of 454 reviewed (Payscale, 2019)