School of Health and Human Sciences

According to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA), speech-language pathologists (SLPs) work to prevent, assess, diagnose, and treat speech, language, social communication, cognitive-communication, and swallowing disorders in children and adults. To become an SLP, you must complete a master’s degree, which includes academic and clinical coursework. To be eligible for the Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) and state licensure, you must graduate from a Council on Academic Accreditation (CAA) program. This typically takes two years of full-time study. Following graduation, you must complete a mentored Clinical Fellowship (CF) experience. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for SLPs is excellent.