The National Black Association for Speech-Language and Hearing (NBASLH) Student Affiliate Chapter of UNC Greensboro is a membership organization for students who are interested in the study of culturally and linguistically diverse populations within communication sciences and disorders. Our NBASLH chapter at UNCG was founded on March 1st, 2021, and is currently striving to welcome new members in hopes to grow the organization.
Join Us: Membership Form
About National NBASLH:
The National Black Association for Speech-Language and Hearing uses the acronym NBASLH which is pronounced “in bahz la” or /nbazle/. NBASLH started as an Ad Hoc Committee consisting of a number of Black Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists from all over the country in December 1977. The Committee’s first formal meeting was held at Howard University in Washington D.C., on January 26, 1978.
The mission of the National Black Association for Speech-Language and Hearing is to maintain a viable mechanism through which the needs of black professionals, students and individuals with communication disorders can be met.
Purpose of NBASLH:
- Promote an increase in the number of Black speech, language and hearing professionals;
- Improve the quality of service delivery to Black individuals with communication disorders and differences.
- Promote research that contributes to the body of knowledge on the identification, diagnosis and treatment of Black individuals with communication disorders and differences.
- Solicit and provide financial support for the training of Black students in communication sciences disorders.
- Solicit and provide mentoring support of Black students and professionals in communication science disorders.
- Be an advocate for Black individuals with communication disorders and differences.
- Disseminate information to the public on communication disorders and differences specific to the Black community.
- Breah Tingle, President, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jacara Wiggins, Vice President, email@example.com
- Taylor Wiley, Treasurer, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kayla Washington, Secretary, email@example.com
- Shalom Ali, Programming Chair, Smali@uncg.edu
- Kristine Lundgren, Faculty Advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org