School of Health and Human Sciences

Q: Do I need to apply to the CSD Program?
A: Yes, all students must complete a UNCG admission application by August 1, and a CSD (free) application; deadline May 15, for fall admission the same year.

Q: When can I start taking classes in my new CSD major?
A: Most of the courses in CSD are pre-professional courses that cannot be taken until you have been formally admitted into the pre-professional program for your junior year.

Q: How do I get admitted to the pre-professional program in the major?A: In order to apply, students must have completed 55 credit hours and have at least a 3.0 GPA. To apply, students must turn in a completed UG application form along with official transcripts for all colleges and universities attended by the application deadline. You cannot take these classes without a letter of admittance from the CSD Department. The application may be found on this website or picked up in the CSD office in 300 Ferguson .

Q: If the only college I have attended is UNCG, do I need an official transcript?
A: In this instance only an unofficial transcript printed by the student is sufficient.

Q: Are there any CSD courses I can take before I am accepted into the Pre-professional program for my junior year?
A: Yes! You may take CSD 150: Communication Disabilities in Films and CSD 250: Concepts in Communication Sciences.

Q: I needed a 3.0 to apply to the CSD major; if accepted, do I have to keep my grades that high to stay in the major?

Bachelor Degree Student Academic Ineligibility-
Failure to meet these criteria will result in dismissal from the major and loss of approval to graduate.
Students will be placed on a one-semester probation if their overall GPA or GPA in the major falls below 3.0. If their major and overall GPA does not reach 3.0 after the one-semester probation, they will not be allowed to continue in the major.
Students who earn a grade below C in a major course will be dismissed from the major.
Failure to comply with all university regulations, including the Academic Integrity Policy, will result in dismissal from the major.

Graduate Student Academic Ineligibility-
Grades of U, F, or WF are received in any course;
Grades of C+ or C are received in more than 6 semester hours;
Grades of C+ or C are received in CSD 678; or
The required 3.0 for graduation is not achieved within the minimum number of semester hours required for the degree.

Q: May I take any of the required courses at another university in the consortium?
A: Not generally. The only time you may be allowed to do so is if you need a course in your last semester to graduate and the department is not offering that course before you graduate.

Q: I’m a senior in the program and ready to apply for graduate school. Do you have any tips for scoring well on the GREs?
A: There are several suggestions that former students have made to improve the GRE scores. We pass them along:

1. READ, READ, READ, READ!! Novels, biography, history, current affairs, drama, science, philosophy, religion. Get the syllabus from an American or British literature course and read everything on the reading list. The newspaper, Reader’s Digest, and Time magazine are written at the fifth grade level. They won’t help much. Reading material required in college courses will help to increase your comprehension, vocabulary, and general knowledge. If you have trouble with self-discipline, it may be useful to take a course or two in one of these areas for credit!

2. Get the Barron’s “Guide to the GRE” or “Crackin’ the GRE” at your local bookstore. Work through it, spending an hour a day on it. Regular, reasonable study periods will help more than cramming.

If you are or think you might be troubled with test anxiety, reading difficulties, learning disabilities, or depression, GET HELP! Contact a local mental health agency or a counseling psychologist. If you are a second degree seeking student at UNCG, you are eligible for services through the UNCG Counseling Center . Any of these problems can cause your performance on the GRE to be low.

Undergraduate Transfer Students (read the above questions also!):

Q: Do I need to apply to the CSD Program?
A: Yes, all students must complete a UNCG admission application by August 1, and a CSD (free) application; deadline May 15, for fall admission the same year.

Q: I am a sophomore who has applied to transfer into UNCG and would like to major in CSD. Is there anything I need to know before I get there?
A: You must also apply to the CSD Department for admittance to the upper-level pre-professional classes. You must have at least 55 credit hours and a 3.0 GPA to be considered for admission to the major at the junior class level. See the link to the application on the UG information page. Attach an official transcript from all institutions you have attended to your application.

Q: I have taken some of your prerequisite courses at another college. How can I get credit when I transfer into UNCG’s CSD program?
A: You need to provide the Coordinator of UG Studies with a copy of the syllabus for the course for which you wish to receive credit.

Students who already have a Bachelor’s degree:

Q. I have an undergraduate degree, but only have a few prerequisite courses, will I still be considered for the graduate program?
A: Preference is given to students who have taken all the suggested courses including courses in communication sciences and disorders (language, articulation, voice and fluency).

Q. I have an undergraduate degree, but not in Communication Sciences and Disorders. I want to be a speech-language pathologist or audiologist. I know I will need some prerequisite courses. How do I go about getting admitted and enrolled to get started on a new career path?
A: You’re right; you will need some prerequisite study before you begin graduate level professional education. At UNCG, we require at least 8 courses. They are: CSD 334 Introduction to Audiology, CSD 306 Introduction to Phonetics, CSD 307 Speech and Hearing Science, CSD 308 Language and Speech Development, and CSD 309 Anatomy and Physiology of the Speech and Hearing Mechanism. After you have successfully completed the first four, you may take the second four courses. These courses introduce you to the disorders of speech and language. They are CSD 336 Articulation Disorders, CSD 337 Language Disorders, CSD 338 Voice & Fluency Disorders, and CSD 556/557 Aural Rehabilitation.

In order to begin this prerequisite study, you have two options.

Option 1. You can apply through the Office of Admissions 336-334-5243 or go to this website: to be an Adult Transfer second degree student. They will give you instructions for application. At the same time, you would apply for admission to the undergraduate major in Communication Sciences and Disorders. The application can be printed from our website at: or you can call 336-334-5184. At a minimum, the requirement for applying to CSD is an overall undergraduate transfer grade point average (GPA) of at least 3.0. The application form comes with instructions; read carefully and follow them exactly. The DEADLINE for fall enrollment is May 15.

Once you are admitted to the University as an Adult Transfer Student and to the CSD major, you can begin your prerequisite study. The pre-requisite program will require one year of full-time study. You must maintain at least a 3.0 GPA. A higher GPA is very desirable, because you will need, eventually, to be admitted to a graduate program. Most graduate programs require well above a 3.0 overall average. Many programs, including UNCG, have so many applicants that it takes a GPA near 3.5 or better to be competitive.

By January of your prerequisite year, you should Apply Online to the Graduate School. The deadline for applications in Communication Sciences and Disorders is February 1, for the following Summer or Fall enrollment. You will know by late March about the admission decision. If you are admitted for graduate study, you will abandon your second undergraduate degree and move right into graduate study during the Summer or Fall. If you are not admitted at UNCG, you may wish to complete the second undergraduate degree (one more semester) and apply again the following year to the Graduate School, or you may apply and be admitted to another graduate program. In fact, we encourage students to apply at more than one graduate program since the number of spaces in any one program is limited.

Option 2. Another option is to Apply Online to the Graduate School by February 1. Call the Graduate School at 336-334-5596. If you are admitted to the Graduate School, you could begin your prerequisite year in the Fall (no summer offerings). You should then plan on three years of full-time study (The first year would be prerequisite study and the following two years would be required for the Master’s degree).

Q. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each option?
A: If your overall undergraduate grade point average is 3.8 or better and you have GRE scores at or above the 50th percentile, it may be advantageous for you to choose Option 2. This would secure a place for you in a graduate program in a highly competitive environment. At UNCG, we don’t admit more than two 3 year Master’s students” per year, so only those with the highest qualifications are selected under Option 2. A disadvantage of Option 2 is that you will not be eligible for financial aid at the graduate level while taking undergraduate courses.

If grade point is between 3.5 and 3.8 and your GRE scores are at or near the 50th percentile, Option 1 will be the better choice. Doing the prerequisite study before applying to graduate school would give you an opportunity to improve your GPA. You also would have a chance to learn more about the discipline in order to be sure this is what you want to do. The disadvantage would be that any financial aid awards would be at the undergraduate level of funding.

Q. What if your overall GPA from your undergraduate degree is below a 3.0?
A: UNCG requires a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 to enroll in graduate school.

Q: I already have a degree and would like to take the prerequisite courses for grad school elsewhere. What courses do I need?
A: Please visit the following link:
Additional useful courses include:

  • ASHA-Certification required courses such as, physical sciences, biological sciences, mathematics, humanities
  • Others classes might include: neurology, sign language, nutrition and linguistics