Admission to the University does not constitute acceptance into the Social Work major. Interested students must apply and be accepted as social work majors.
Choosing to major in social work is an important professional and career decision which requires learning about social work as a profession, self-awareness and value clarification, and informed decision-making. As students think about choosing a major, they should be exposed to the profession of social work, career opportunities, and challenges.
Our department requires that students engage in self-awareness and examine their motivations for becoming a social worker. In order to facilitate this process, students who wish to major in social work must complete the “Application to the Social Work Major” process (see below).
The process begins when interested students take SWK 215, Introduction to Social Work, where they learn about the profession of social work and social work practice. Students are exposed to concepts and definitions of social work, the relationship between social problems and social work, fields of practice, and job opportunities.
Students also complete a 25 hour volunteer experience in a human service agency. In addition, students must complete an essay as part of the course requirements. This essay assists students to synthesize their knowledge about social work while also examining their personal interest and motivation for a career in social work.
See the Suggested Educational Plan.
To be considered for admission to the Social Work Program , a student must be a student at the University and have :
- Completed SWK 215 with a minimum grade of C *.
- A minimum University GPA of 2.5 and completion of 51 semester hours.
- Submitted a complete application package (see below).
*Transfer students who have completed the equivalent of SWK 215 at another CSWE-accredited BSW program will still need to complete the essay in order to apply for admission.
Application to the Social Work Major
Students must submit a completed application package in order to be considered for admission to the major:
- Completed Application (PDF), including the Student Acknowledgement and Acceptance of Policies and Procedures (PDF), after having read the BSW Student Handbook,
- Essay from SWK 215 or completed essay if transferring from another University, contact BSW Director for essay guidelines,
- Two professional letters of reference, using the Required BSW Recommendation Form(PDF) ,
- A resume detailing leadership, work, and volunteer experience,
- Most current UNCG Social Work degree evaluation (can obtain this from UNCGenie).
The deadline for applications is December 7th. Students should submit their completed application to the department secretary. Admission to the social work major is competitive and limited. Applicants will be notified in writing concerning the admission decision.
For further information, contact:
Daniel Rhodes, Ph.D
Undergraduate Program Director
Phone: (336) 256-0363