About the Program
Since 2006, the Department of Social Work and Human Development and Family Studies have offered a summer language and culture immersion in Costa Rica every other summer. Beginning with Summer 2013, this program is sponsored by the School of Health and Human Sciences and is open to all HHS graduate and undergraduate majors. This program offers students an opportunity to increase their knowledge of Latino culture and improve their Spanish language skills. Participants have four hours a day of language instruction (4 students to 1 instructor) and stay with selected Costa Rican families.
The course cost includes trips to:
- the Monteverde cloud forest,
- the Poas and Arenal volcanoes,
- and a trip to the Caribbean side of Costa Rica.
The trip includes daily activities of service and learning such as:
- participation in community building,
- visits to refugee communities,
- and interaction with indigenous tribe members.
See text transcript of video (PDF).