Welcome to the Nutrition Graduate Students
NGSA meets once a month. Our meetings are usually held over the lunch hour and give us a chance to “take a deep breath”, share some thoughts about our research and course work, and have some fun.
- NGSA members are attending the Grad Student Mixer at the Weatherspoon Art Museum Thursday, August 25th from 4:30-6pm. This is a fun event to meet other grad students and hang out with NGSA members. There will be food and drinks provided, you need your UNC G ID to get in and your Driver’s License to drink.
- President is organizing Intramural Sports Teams for Sand Volleyball and Battle Canoes (which is later in the semester). https://recwell.uncg.edu/im/
- Goal is to do at least one community service event a month.
- We are creating team for the CROP Hunger Walk (5K) on Sunday, October 15th at 2:30pm. http://greatergreensborocropwalk.org/
- Register (for free) online under team: UNCG Nutrition Graduate Student Association
- Our team captain is Melissa Totten, be on the lookout for an email from her with more info on the event.
- You can raise money to donate or purchase an event t-shirt ($6). May also be able to donate canned goods/non-perishable food items at the event.
- The Food Recovery Network at UNCG collects food from the dining hall and other venues where it might otherwise go to waste and delivers to the Salvation Army in Greensboro. (https://www.facebook.com/uncgfrn/)
- Can attend Mondays/Thursdays at 5:30pm in the dining hall and we can also organize times to go together as a group.
- Goal is to do one social a month.
- We are going to Boxcar Bar + Arcade on Friday, August 25th from 6:00 to 11:00 p.m.! There will be a food truck there as well. https://theboxcarbar.com/greensboro/
- In the future we can plan other socials in Greensboro for Trampoline Park, laser tag, bowling, escape room, etc. Some other restaurant suggestions for dinner socials are Tessa Farm to Fork, Print Works Bistro, Undercurrent, etc. More suggestions welcome!
- To create a forum for constructive peer support that fosters professional development through discussion of research objectives, the current scientific literature, and oral presentations of our own research.
- To promote campus awareness of the department and develop collaborative research efforts between nutrition and other UNCG departments and affiliates.
- To promote nutrition awareness in the community at large by participating in health and nutrition outreach.
- President: Linda Friend
- Vice President: Kimberly Singh
- Treasurer: Hannah Carter
- Secretary: Alla Hill
- Student Gov’t Assoc. Rep.: Dana DeSilva
- Public Relations/Media Chair: Lucas Wilkerson