We envision a world where adults and children, of all gender identities and expressions, are able to live safe, healthy, productive and meaningful lives at home, school, work, and in their communities. We are particularly interested in advancing the health, wellness and quality of life of girls, women and LGBTQIA* individuals.
*Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Ally
- Develop an interdisciplinary program of research and community-engaged scholarship.
- Connect research to practice through research dissemination, community education, action, and service.
The Center’s work is organized to provide solutions to specific social problems that build on the strengths and expertise of our university, faculty, students and our partners in the community. Currently we have programs that seek to advance: community responses to violence against women; safety and equity in sports and physical activity; and the quality of life of working mothers, with a focus on breastfeeding. Each of our programs has a program director that coordinates activity in that area:
- Program to Advance Breastfeeding and Reproductive Health Program Director is Paige Hall Smith, CWHW Director and Associate Professor of Public Health Education, School of Health and Human Sciences
- Program to Advance Community Responses to Violence Against Women (Program Director is Loreen Olson, Associate Professor of Communication Studies, College of Arts and Sciences)
- Program for the Advancement of Girls and Women in Sport and Physical Activity (Program Director is Donna Duffy, AP Assistant Professor of Kinesiology, School of Health and Human Science)
- LGBTQI Education and Research Network (LEARN) (Coordinator is Brad Johnson, Clinical Assistant Professor, Teacher Education and Higher Education; Research Director is Roger Mills-Koonce, Associate Professor, Human Development and Family Studies)
News and Publications
A new article on the Woman’s College Alumni Study has just been published in the Journal of Women and Aging.
Learn more about our programs on our Facebook pages:
- UNCG Center for Women’s Health and Wellness
- Program for the Advancement of Girls and Women in Sport and Physical Activity
- Violence Prevention Network